Sunday, December 23, 2007

digitally Queens... (thing #22)

Took me a while - but success at last...

Ok - so I started off trying to download an audio book at Queens Library's Media Center- but what caught my eye was downloadable video from Queens Library - which I shamefully did not even know we had! hehehe...

But here's the catch - the learning curve for getting that video from the server to my viewing pleasure is pretty steep. First off - had to download the OverDrive Media console - because I was trying to watch Felini's 8 1/2. Second - tried to upgrade the security patch (which necessitated another download of Windows Media Player 10). I chose 10 because 11 looked like it had bugs (considering there was advice on Microsoft's website telling you how you could roll-back to previous versions of the Player.

Then I ran the security patch. Then I was ready for the download... All 750MBs of it :P

The next thing was the Mobipocket Reader download. Pretty straightforward installation - followed the directions on registering my device when prompted at checkout - and voila!

I have to say I was surprised that some audio books are burnable to CD's. Doesnt this result in a permanent hardcopy that's yours to keep? If so... cool!

And while direct video is great in concept - the huge download times and inability to download in chapters makes it pretty time consuming. I guess if you've got your computer up for a while - it can run in the background - but expect to wait at least an hour or more with a DSL line. Which isn't terrible I guess... takes longer than that to motivate myself to go to Blockbuster and its definitely a shorter wait than having Netflix send you a movie - so kudos to you Queens!

No comments:

Post a Comment