Sunday, December 23, 2007

the house that wiki built (thing #16)

I have mixed feelings about wiki technology - and I'm sure I'm not the only one..

Ever since Stephen Colbert featured Wikipedia on his comedy show (demonstrating how easy it was to mislead the unsuspecting) - or on a more sinister note the debacle surrounding the post about John Seigenthaler, I've approached wikipedia as a necessary evil...

But in the right hands - wiki technology can be an invaluable and very efficient way of collaborating and disseminating important information. I particularly enjoyed the Library's Best Practices website, because a) the content is by and for librarians and b) the accountability factor (having to verify your email address to be able to post). The lack of accountability in wikis is really the biggest problem I have with them - and anything that can be done to address that is appreciated.

And as for what I found that was helpful? Well - working with 50+ teens a day in reading room with only 8 chairs - programming is the name of the game for me. Getting teens motivated to do anything besides stare at Myspace pages and chase each other around the library is a sometime Herculean task - but here are some pointers and success stories I found in this Library's Best Practices wiki.

Also - a very helpful programming database by the Mid-Hudson Library system which is useful for targeting specific groups and interests, while staying within a budget. Its a gem...

And last but not least - a Genealogy wiki gleaned from the SJCPL Subject Guides which I found helpful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment