Sunday, December 23, 2007

it was the best of times, it was ... well it wasn't THAT bad :P (thing #23)

Yay! the end is here...

So if you'd asked me a couple of posts ago whether I thought this undertaking was worth it - I would have had mixed feelings; but now that its Dec 23rd, and all my posts are in - I havta admit I did learn alot.

These exercises were a great opportunity to explore new ideas/technologies and revisit things I already knew; including things beyond just connecting patrons with the information and entertainment they need.

Couple of things I probably would never have done without these exercises -
1)Blogging
2)RSS feeds
3)Wikis
4)anything relating to eBooks.

The last one I'm especially grateful for - because as bandwith increases for regular computer users(with fiber optic and cable becoming the new dial-up), I could definitely see a growing need for video on demand. Being able to help to spread the news about Queen's digital collection and encourage usage through having "been there" is something I can now see myself doing.

As for future eSkills courses... I would consider taking more, if offered - with a condition.

Because this was a beginning to intermediate class, I would hope that there would be a mechanism in place for people who have successfully completed this course to not have to start from "the beginning" of a new set of exercises.

Another thing is - I saw a lot of my colleagues start the program and not complete it because of the size of the undertaking. Future classes could be smaller in size - because 23 things is pretty daunting.

It took me entire days in front of a computer to digest, register at this site or that, explore, and formulate my posts; and for people who aren't as tech savvy - it can seem a mountain too steep to climb.

And that should be the purpose of these exercises - getting everyone up to speed. But seeing how tough one of these exercises can be - and then the mental image of another 22 of them to come - most people wouldn't bother with more than 1 or 2 before giving up.

Well - that's everything! Good luck everyone and Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment